Skip to main content

You must log in to continue reading. Log in or subscribe today.

1931: LeDue first to cross new bridge

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on October 16, 1931, and is the last in a series about Luverne's Rock River bridge.
Senator Schall, after a brief statement concerning good roads, gave a political speech lasting an hour and a half. The following is the ending of his speech:
Rock river bridge was built by the Widell Construction Co., of Mankato, under the personal direction of G. A. Hildeen, and they completed their task more than ten days ago, when most of the contractor’s equipment and supplies were loaded and shipped back to headquarters. Since then a limited number of men have been engaged in clearing up the bridge area and putting the finishing touches on the bridge itself and nothing that would add to the appearance or the general surroundings was neglected. In fact, those who have paid particular attention to the activities of the contractors and their crews have been most agreeable surprised by the broad-minded, generous manner in which they consistently sought to please. The same attitude has been shown by the state highway department in every way possible.
Now that the trunk highway is open to travel the old township road that for many years provided the only entrance to the old fair grounds and race track, east of town, will likely be permanently abandoned, for this roadway now provides entrance only to the farm occupied by David Jones, and a more direct approach is available from the trunk highway.
Earlier in the grading operations, many were inclined to believe that the pronounced grade of the new highway would detract from the attractiveness of Luverne’s public park, but as things have been shaping themselves during the last few weeks a majority of these critics has become convinced that the road betterment has also resulted in added conveniences and picturesque features to the recreation grounds.
On a recent visit here, the chief officials of Minnesota’s highway department paid a visit to Luverne’s public park and Commissioner C. M. Babcock expressed the opinion that Luverne has one of the most attractive parks of limited area to be found anywhere in Southern Minnesota, and that with the improvements that are being made from year to year, it won’t be long until it will be noted as one of the outstanding pleasure grounds of this section. Incidentally, Mr. Babcock and his assistants have aided wherever possible in promoting this desirable result.
Through the combined efforts of fate and “wags,” the honor being the first one with a vehicle to cross the new Rock river bridge went to C. M. LaDue, with his sorrel pony and road cart.
-------
An adverse angle of the trunk highway improvement work east of Luverne was obtained Tuesday by many motorists who travelled the new Rock river grade, for the two days of rainy weather had softened the surface to a marked extent. As a result there were from one to eight cars stalled at a time, at almost any hour of the day, but the caterpillar tractors were brought into use, and everyone given a lift that needed it. The road was passable the following day.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, 312 E. Main Street, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.

1931: New River grading cleans up area around bridge

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on October 16, 1931, and is the third in a series about Luverne's Rock River bridge.
Senator Schall, after a bried statement concerning good roads, gave a political speech lasting an hour and a half. The following is the second part of this speech.
As originally surveyed by the highway engineers, a strip of approximately one-eighth of an acre extending westward to a sharp point, was left between the old and the new trunk highway routes, but before the grading of the new route had progressed too far, the highway department deemed it advisable to secure this narrow strip of land through condemnation proceedings. Although the owner, E. Top, had just finished refencing the small area, the enclosure was removed the last week so that the road graders would fill the depression that it enclosed.
This ditch was obstructed somewhat with a growth of less desirable trees and these were easily yanked out by the caterpillar tractors, and in place of the growths and the ditch a nice, smooth surface is now presented and makes a natural parking place for motorists, with their cars facing the park from the north.
At its widest point this parking space and driveway will be approximately 150 feet, which is immediately west of the main approaches to the park and the new highway from the river road. At the extreme east end of this driveway, in front of the old power house, the available space is probably less than seventy-five feet, but the high, well finished grade, together with the massive Rock river bridge, furnishes a natural, pleasing enclosure for the park area.
Taking advantage of conditions as they develop, Alderman Frank Peschon who is chairman of the park board, caused a dam to be installed last week at the north edge of the temporary bridge erected south of the new bridge, and as a result of this the water level in the lagoon on the north side of the grade was raised fully two feet by the following morning. One of the advantages of this dam is that it did not cost the city anything, for steel girders from the old bridge and voluntary labor from spectators completed the 60-ft. wide retaining wall within a short time and this can be widened as requirements necessitate. Piling for the temporary bridge serves to retain the dam and when this bridge is removed the north line of piling will be sawed off to conform with the spillway requirements.
Adequate facilities for lighting the big new bridge were provided by the construction engineers and the bridge itself has a wide walk for pedestrians along the south side, with a ramp leading to the park area on that side, so that those who walk to the park do no add to traffic complications on the bridge or at either approach.
In order to eliminate the grade crossing menace over the Rock Island, the grade is quite high in front of the municipal light and power plant, but this has a concrete retaining wall on the north side. While quite a little trouble is expected from the wind carrying dust into the power plant when it blows from the south or southwest, as soon as this highway is paved, much of this inconvenience will be eliminated.
The new grade also makes possible a marked improvement in the driveway area in front and along the east side of the Mannigel-Rathjen Grain company plant, and while it steepens off the old entrance to the Moi small acreage place south and west of the park, this situation has been met by provisions for the erection of a small bridge over Rock river leading direct from the Moi place into the park in quite direct line with the roadway to the trunk highway approach. In this instance materials from the dismantled Rock river bridge will be used in providing a private bridge. The bridge contractors assisted the city to the extent of driving the piling for this outlet while the necessary equipment was available.
In fact, both the bridge and the grading contractors have been more than generous in assisting the city in rearranging the park to conform to the new requirements imposed by the new trunk highway and the members of the council feel deeply grateful to contractors and also the construction crews for the public spiritedness they have shown from the outset in doing many tasks that did not give them a cent of added remuneration.
Next week: Schall's speech concludes.

1931 Rock River bridge dedication included 90-minute speech by Sen. Schall

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on October 16, 1931, and is the second in a series about Luverne's Rock River bridge.
Sen. Schall, after a brief statement concerning good roads, gave a political speech lasting an hour and a half. The following is the first part of this speech.
Southwestern Minnesota’s most prominent trunk highway improvement—the re-routing of No. 9 east of Luverne—insofar as grading and bridge installations are concerned, is now completed except for minor details. To fully realize the proportions that this project embraced one must travel over the four and one-half mile stretch that carries the highway along the north side of the railway from East Main street to a junction with the old route of trunk highway No. 9, in the center of Magnolia township.
The greatest amount of grading will be found over the mile and a half stretch through the Rock river valley where a grade, forty feet wide and at points 10 feet high, offers an adequate avenue of travel for all the traffic requirements that many years to come will impose. The bridge spanning Rock river, built on a level to conform with the East Main street grades, is generally conceded to be one of the finest structures of its kind built by the Minnesota highway department anywhere within the state, and within an area not over half a mile east are two smaller bridges that might be used as model structures on any average trunk highway. The Rock river bridge is 200 feet in length and consists of five 40-ft. spans, while the auxiliary bridges to the east which are designed to handle any excess water that may flow down the Rock river are 60-ft. steel girder spans.
Building of this new highway in reality lengthens Main street, as it is usually  referred to, approximately 600 feet, for one coming from the east gets a splendid view of the city’s principal business street fully two blocks quicker than was possible under the previous low grade of the curving highway. Recognition by the state highway department that nothing is more dangerous to motor travel than a grade railway crossing caused the engineers to extend the grade through Rock river valley at a level that it eliminates the incline at the Rock Island crossing.
In connection with the building of the new trunk highway the attractiveness and convenience of Luverne’s public park has been greatly enhanced through the plans of the highway engineers with but little, if any, cost to the municipality. The addition of a lagoon, more than three acres in extent, on the north side of the highway north of the park, and the graceful curve cut by Rock river, have likewise added much to the attractiveness of the park area.
The formation of this lagoon was rendered practical by the large amount of filling required in getting the necessary highway grade and when adequate dam facilities have been provided, it is quite certain that the lagoon will contain an adequate supply of water.
The nine-foot grade north of the park serves as an enclosure and when entirely finished will be quite attractive. The old winding highway now serves as a driveway for the recreation grounds with the sole connection to the new highway at the extreme east end of the park, just west of the old spillway. There a gently sloping, wide grade has been built from which traffic may leave the trunk highway of motorists coming from what used to be known as the river road, may connect with the new highway on their way to Luverne. Incidentally, the park entrance at the east end has been regraded to conform in line and width with the wide approach to the trunk highway. A slight re-routing of the driveway through the extreme east portion of the park is to service this purpose and also that of eliminating a pronounced depression created by the required grading.
Next week: Sen. Schall's speech continues.

1931: Luverne's Rock River bridge cites as 'among the best in Minnesota'

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on October 16, 1931, and is the first in a series about Luverne's Rock River bridge.
 
NEW BRIDGE AND PAVING DEDICATED YESTERDAY
 
Senator Schall and Charles Forbes, “Granddad” of Highway System, Participate in Program.
 
ROAD IMPROVEMENTS BIG ASSET TO LUVERNE
 
Rock River Bridge Among the Best in Minnesota; Main Street Approach is More Attractive.
 
Luverne’s bridge and paving celebration opened with a program at the bank corners on Main street yesterday when highway officials and Senator Thomas D. Schall addressed residents of Luverne and Rock county.
An informal luncheon was tendered the speakers at the Manitou hotel at noon, by a group of business men and American Legion members. The Luverne band presented a half hour program of music before the speakers were introduced.
R. C. Engan, chairman of the program committee, introduced H. E. Chard, divisional engineer who has been in charge of highway construction of No. 9. Mr. Chard gave a brief talk, thanking the residents of Rock county for their cooperation on the project and then introduced Charles A. Forbes, “the grand daddy of the highway system.”
Mr. Forbes has been identified with road construction in Minnesota for more than a quarter of a century. He related how he had toured the state with “Bob” Dunn, 25 years ago interesting the people of the state in good roads and working for passage of the Dunn amendment. He has lived to see Minnesota rank among the leading states in good highways and roads. Mr. Forbes explained that Minnesota is different from any other state in its legislation concerning jurisdiction of highway officials and in its equalization of state expense for the highway system.
Following Mr. Forbes, Mr. Engan introduced Frank Sell of Adrian, senator from this district in the Minnesota Senate. Mr. Sell then introduced Senator Schall who, after a brief statement concerning good roads, gave a political speech lasting an hour and a half.
Next week: Sen. Schall's speech.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, 312 E. Main Street, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.

1926: Re-routing of County Road 9 meet with opposition

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on November 12, 1926:
 
MANY FARM OWNERS ARE OPPOSED TO RE-ROUTING NO. 9
 
Divided Fields With Resultant Inconveniences Are Most General Grounds for Complaint.
 
The re-routing of trunk highway No. 9, so that it will run along the north side of the Omaha right-of-way from the west edge of this city, to the South Dakota state line, instead of over the present route, does not meet with the hearty approval of most owners of the farms through which it will cut. There has been considerable talk of circulating petitions protesting against the change, but there is little likelihood of such petitions making any material difference.
This is due to the fact that the state highway department has long had the changed route under consideration and has viewed it from every angle. Officials are convinced that the advantages of the new route so far outweigh any permanent disadvantages that the latter cannot be considered.
As outlined in the last issue of the Herald, the new route will cut diagonally across outlot No. 10, known as the Forrest property, starting from Davidson street at the end of the Main street paving, and will continue in a southwest direction through the J. F. Snook residence property occupied by L. E. Leech, to the southeast corner of J. D. Piepgras’ farm on this side of the Omaha right of way. There it will follow the railway through Beaver Creek and on to Manley and the South Dakota line, keeping parallel with the railway along the entire way.
This means the abandonment of the present trunk highway between this city and the South Dakota state line, which may seem an extravagant move. But the highway department figures that the new route can be constructed for twenty-five per cent less than the present route could be rebuilt, and reconstruction would be necessary within a short period. The most important consideration, according to the view point of the state highway department, is the elimination of railway crossings and the reduction of mileage.
According to the highway department, the new route will reduce the mileage fully three miles as well as eliminate four railway crossings, which in themselves are considered a great menace to the travelling public. What makes the reduction of mileage important is the fact that present expectations are that this highway eventually will be paved. For every mile that the route is reduced, a saving of approximately $30,000 in paving costs will be possible. It is held that this saving will in itself practically take care of the expense of constructing the new route.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, 312 E. Main Street, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.

1926: New road resurface technique uses heated oil, gravel

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on October 15, 1926:
 
Minnesota’s highway department the first of this week completed the task of oiling and resurfacing with gravel the two-mile stretch of trunk highway No. 6, between the Kniss avenue paving and state road No. 8 north of this city. Oil was heated and put on under pressure by an especially designed machine, and the oil was covered with a thin coating of gravel. While this work was under way the road was closed to travel, the detour being by way of Blue Mounds avenue north to No. 8.
The applying of the oil on this two-mile stretch is one of many being done by the Minnesota Highway department for experimental purposes, for which numerous preparations are being given a trial. Tarvia has been applied to a section of No. 6 near Pipestone.
Re-gravelling trunk highway No. 9 between this city and Magnolia was started the fore part of this week by Contractor J. B. Deuel, of Worthington, who is using from fifteen to twenty motor trucks for hauling. It is expected that this job will be far advanced by the end of the present week.
Gravel for the first three miles east of this city is being taken from the Ford gravel pit in the city, and the remainder of the gravel needed will be hauled from the Thompson pit at Magnolia. The truck loads average about two and a fourth cubic yards of gravel, and close to 700 cubic yards is being spread on the road during each day.
The work of replenishing stock piles for No. 8 and re-gravelling patches of this road that needed such attention, which was done by the county, was finished last week by Mr. Deuel. Gravel for this contract was hauled from the Ward pit northeast of this city. Six stock piles, each containing about two hundred cubic yards of gravel, were stored up along the highway. This and the re-gravelling found necessary, required the hauling of 2,300 cubic yards of gravel.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, 312 E. Main Street, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.

1926: Community organizes ski tournament

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on Jan. 29, 1926:
 
COUNTY SKI TOURNAMENT SCHEDULED FOR FEB. 12TH
 
Between Thirty and Forty coasters to Take Active Part in Highly Thrilling Sport
 
Plans now being made provide for a Rock county Ski tournament to be held at the Norton hill east of Luverne, on Friday, February 12th. It is expected that this will be one of the biggest out-of-door sport events held in this section in a long while.
Indications are that between thirty and forty skiers will participate in the day’s events, which are to start at 2:30 in the afternoon and will last for approximately three hours. Six prizes will be awarded. As the ski take off has been in use for several weeks, quite a number of the coasting fans have become proficient in the art of handling skis and many thrilling stunts are looked forward to.
Arrangements for the tournament are being made under the direction of Secretary Einar Lorange, of the Luverne Ski club. All those who desire to take part in the afternoon’s events are requested to register with him on or before next Thursday, February 4th.
No entrance fee will be required from skiers who participate and members of the Luverne Ski club will be admitted free to the grounds. An admission fee of 25 cents will be charged all others, however, in order to defray the expenses of holding the tournament.
It is held that the afternoon’s events will constitute such a truly interesting program that it will repay any one to drive many miles in order to witness it. As February 12th is a legal holiday, it is expected that most of the business houses will close for the afternoon in order to promote attendance at the tournament.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, 312 E. Main Street, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.
 

1870: Story of Rock County's organization continues

This is to continue my article from last week:
 
ORGANIZATION OF ROCK COUNTY
 
On the 17th day of October, 1870, this board held its first meeting at the house of H. A. Gregory. Daniel Wilmott was chosen chairman, and P. J. Kniss, clerk pro tem. The first work of the board was to call an election to be held in November, 1870. They divided the county into three election precincts or commissioners’ districts.
District No. 1 consisted of all that territory lying north of the south line of sections 1,2,3,4,5, and 6, township 102, ranges 44,45,46,47. In this district E. N. Darling, J. F. Shoemaker, and E. S. Gregory were appointed as the first judges of the election, and the house of E. S. Gregory was designated as the place for holding the same.
District No. 2 comprised all the territory lying south of the District No. 1 as far as the south line of section 24, township 101, ranges 44,45,46,47. In this district the election was to be held at the house  of J. C. Gregory; and M. C. Smith, J. C. Phelps, and J. C. Gregory were appointed first judges of election.
District No. 3 embraced the balance of the county, and John H. Ferguson, Frank S. Mason, and A. B. Thompson were chosen as judges of election; the election to be held at the house of the first named.
This ended the business of the board at its first meeting, and it then adjourned to the house of A. McMurphy, Nov. 9, 1870.
The election was held as ordered and resulted in the choice of the following named gentlemen as the first county officers of Rock County: County Auditor, Ed McKenzie; Treasurer, J. F. Shoemaker; Register of Deeds, John H. Ferguson; Sheriff, S. D. Gregory; Clerk of Court, H. A. Gregory; Surveyor, P. J. Kniss; Court Commissioner, Amos E. Estey; County Attorney, L. B. McCullum; County Commissioners, E. N. Darling, Philo Hawes, and L. B. McCullum. At the same time H. C. Gregory was elected as the first Justice of the Peace in Rock County.
When the county was first organized the county officials kept their offices at their respective homes; J. H. Ferguson, the register of deeds, keeping his office at his claim, within a mile of the Iowa State line. When B. S. Wold put up his store, a desk for county business was used there, and the offices shifted about several times before being finally anchored in their present quarters.
Next week the article will continue with the organization of the townships.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.

1886: Details of Rock County's organization found in atlas

The following was found in an atlas dated 1886:
 
ORGANIZATION OF ROCK COUNTY
 
Prior to its organization Rock County was attached to Jackson for civil and judicial purposes, and when, in the winter of 1869-70, the Legislature passed the enabling act, there was but comparatively little talk or agitation of the question. However, after the passage of the bill, in July or August, 1870, the Governor of the State appointed J. F. Shoemaker, J. C. Phelps, and A. E. Estey as commissioners to locate the county seat of the proposed county. The governor had also requested that a convention be held to suggest or present names for the county commissioners to be appointed. This convention was held, and on the same day the county-seat commissioners met, at the house of Jonathan Phelps in the southern part of Luverne Township. Mr. Shoemaker had written a report for the commissioners which located the county seat at Luverne, there being no opposition to speak of. The convention held the same presented names as requested. In the course of a few weeks the Governor appointed Daniel Wilmott, H. A. Gregory, and Abraham McMurphy as county commissioners to organize the county and call the first election.
(This article will continue next week.)
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.

1896: Long Distance telephone service begins expansion

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on November 20, 1896:
 
The Northwestern long distance telephone line with headquarters in Skauge’s drug store, is completed as far west as Salem. All important towns along this route will be supplied with instruments. Last week the work of stringing the wires from Minneapolis to Fargo, N. D., was finished and as soon as the instruments are placed in position and connections are made with Worthington, the people of Luverne can talk with the people in North Dakota’s metropolis. Early in the spring a wire will be strung from Mankato to Winona, thus enabling citizens of Luverne and Winona to converse whenever they choose. The connections at Worthington will be made in a few days and we will then be on speaking terms with people in St. Paul and Minneapolis and intermediate towns.
 
As you all know, the sale is over. Thanks to all who donated items for the sale and to all the people who bought! We are in the new History Center now, and we will have an open house from 1-4 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 30. Please join us to celebrate the opening of the History Center!
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.