Skip to main content

You must log in to continue reading. Log in or subscribe today.

1924: Looking back 50 years to life in Rock County

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on July 18, 1924:
 
ROCK COUNTY AS IT WAS FIFTY ODD YEARS AGO
 
Being a Paper on Pioneer Life as Read by Representative J.N. Jacobson at Hills Old Settler’s Re-Union
 
Permanent settlement began in the southwest corner of the county in 1876. A few years before that time, trappers had operated in the county, visiting streams for the taking of pelts of the fur-bearing animals which were then to be found. We have data concerning the operations of only a few of these.
Of those who later became residents of the county, one of the first white men who looked upon the soil was Robert Douglas, who passed through Rock county with the soldiers in pursuit of the Redskins, after the Indian uprising of the early ’60s. He reported many elk and deer in the county and was responsible for naming Elk Slough in Magnolia township.
James A. Rice, later sheriff of Rock county, in company with G. M. Scott, tramped along Rock river and traded with the Indians in the fall of 1866 and spent over a month within the county’s boundaries. During their stay on the river in 1866, Rice and Scott saw an occasional elk, deer and antelope and one day they saw two buffalo which had come back once more to their stamping grounds before bidding adieu forever.
The trappers liked the looks of the country, and Mr. Rice in after years told of his and his companions’ speculations as to the length of time before the country would be settled. “We knew it was as nice a country as ever laid outdoors,” he said, “but we had no idea that it would be settled in fifty years.”
(This article will continue next week.)
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.

1924: State's per pupil funding raised to $4.20

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on October 24, 1924:
 
COUNTY SCHOOLS RECEIVE STATE AID APPROPRIATION
County Auditor Olaf Skyberg this week received notice from State Auditor Chase as to the amount of state appropriation as school aid which Rock county will receive. This sum is $11,113.20 which makes $4 for each of the 2,640 pupils in Rock county schools.
In addition to this, the funds derived from fines and penalties makes the aid 20c more per pupil, or the combined amount, $4.20. This will be paid to the various school districts in connection with the regular November settlement.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.

1924: Chest clinic screens for tuberculosis

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on October 17, 1924:
 
MANY TAKE ADVANTAGE OF PUBLIC CHEST CLINIC
 
Total of Thirty-Nine Persons Undergo Examination by Drs. Slater and Britt
 
A total of thirty-nine people took advantage of the opportunity for examination at the chest clinic held Wednesday at the Armory under the direction of Drs. Slater and Britt, of the Southwestern Minnesota sanitorium.
Fully ninety per cent of those who underwent examination were adults. This is said to be the largest number that have ever taken advantage of a similar clinic and the result of Wednesday’s event is considered most gratifying in the results disclosed and the number of patients who were really in need of such examination.
While the clinic was primarily for adults, children who live in homes occupied by persons who are or have been affected with tuberculosis infections, were also urged to attend the clinic. In a number of instances, the result of the observations were such that the patients were instructed to closely watch their own condition and to report to the county nurse for observation every few weeks.
Public Health Nurse Florence L. Green and the Misses Helen Houg, Marietta Johnson and Myrtle Collins assisted the physicians in conducting the clinic.
It is announced that another chest clinic will be held here by Dr. Slater within the next three months.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.
 

1924: Robbins and Company come to town

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on October 3, 1924:
 
POPULAR ENTERTAINERS TO BE HERE FOR ONE WEEK
 
Clint and Bessie Robbins and company Coming to Palace Theatre Monday Evening With New Repertoire
 
Clint and Bessie Robbins and their company, longtime favorites of Rock county theatre goers, will open a week’s engagement at the Palace Theatre next Monday, October 6th. The opening attraction will be a George M. Cohen comedy, “So This is London.”
These popular entertainers come to Luverne this year with a complete new repertoire of plays, costumes and settings and orchestra of soloists. They carry a carload of scenery and baggage. Among the other comedies which they are presenting this season are ”New Toys,” “The Old Soak,” “Blue Beard’s 8th Wife,” “Mike Angelo,” “Remnants,” and “The End of a Perfect Day.”
The prices of admission will be 75 cents for the entire first floor and the first two rows of the balcony and the rest of the seats in the balcony will be 50 cents. Tickets for the children under twelve years will be 25 cents. Reserved seats will be on sale at the Palace Song Shop tomorrow morning at 10:00 a. m.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.

1924: Defense Day observation means parade followed by speech, music and exhibition drill

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on September 12, 1924:
 
LUVERNE PLANS FOR DEFENSE TEST DAY
 
Local Committee Completes Arrangements for Fitting Observance of Day This Afternoon
 
CO. H TO BE RECRUITED TO FULL WAR STRENGTH
 
Parade at 3 0’Clock will be Followed by Speech, Music and Exhibition Drill at Fair Grounds
 
Today is Defense Day, and it will be observed in Luverne this afternoon with appropriate exercises, conforming to the proclamations issued by President Coolidge and Governor Preus.
Company H, of the 205th infantry, M. N. G., will, under the order of the war department be mobilized to full war strength for the day only, such mobilization to be through volunteer recruiting. The war strength of Company H is 141 men and 5 officers.
The program for the day, as arranged by the committee appointed by Mayor C. S. Brewer, calls for the observance of the day to begin at 3 o’clock this afternoon. At that hour all citizens who wish to enlist in Company H for the exercises, are requested to assemble at the armory for enrollment.
At the meeting of the Luverne Kiwanis club last week, it was unanimously voted that all members of the club enlist in the company for the day. This number will not bring the company up to full war strength. Moreover, the company is not restricted to number above given, but can enroll as many as volunteer. Therefore, all citizens of military age are invited to enlist.
At 3 o’clock, or after the mobilization of the company, the company will form in line and march from the Armory to the corner of Main and Freeman; thence east to the corner of Main and McKenzie streets; thence back to the corner of Main and Freeman, and thence to the fair grounds. The regular members of the company will appear in uniform, while the recruits will be given distinctive badges. In the formation for the parade, the regular members and the recruits will intermingle.
At 2:45 the company bugler will sound the assembly to call attention to the hour of enlistment.
When the company reaches the fair grounds they will form in front of the speakers’ stand, where Major A. A. Anderson will read the Governor’s proclamation. Following this a short address, explaining the purpose of defense test day, will be given by E. H. Canfield, Esq. These exercises will be interspersed with selections by the Luverne band. One of the selections will be “America,” and all present will be asked to join in singing the anthem.
At the close of these exercises the recruits will be dismissed and the regular members of Company H will then give an exhibition drill. Following the drill the company will march to the Armory for dismissal.
At meetings held during the past week by the Luverne Commercial club and Dell-Hogan Post, American Legion, approval of defense day was voted by these organizations, with the understanding that hearty co-operation should be given.
The local committee in charge of the observance is Frank Ferguson, H. C. Engan, Henry Koehn and James Horne.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.

1924: Rock County tops in state for gasoline usage last year

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on August 29, 1924:
 
ROCK COUNTY USED 1,223,002 GALLONS OF GASOLINE IN 1923
 
Report of State Oil Inspection Department Shows Rock County Generous Buyer of Gas
Rock county used 1,223,002 gallons of gasoline during 1923, according to the annual report of the division of oil inspection of the Dairy and Ford Department. In addition to this quantity of gasoline, a total of 247,197 gallons of kerosene was used in the county in the same period. The report shows that the total number of gallons of gasoline used in the state in 1923 to be 185,785,042.
While Rock is one of the smallest counties in the state, in only forty-four of the eighty-seven counties was more gasoline used than in Rock county. Thirty-two of the eighty-seven counties used less than a million gallons. Hennepin heads the list with 34,034,833 gallons, while Ramsey comes next with 22,957,407, and St. Louis next with 13,954,546. Stearns takes fourth place with 4,936,887, and Blue Earth fifth with 3,480,472. No other county in the state reaches the three million mark.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.

1924: DeForce continues reminiscence of Luverne

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on August 22, 1924:
 
(Continued from last week)
 
OLE-TIMER RECALLS THE DAYS OF THE EARLY ’70s
 
Collin Estey had the first pre-emption along the Rock river valley in Rock  county. Mrs. Deborah Estey, her six sons, Amos, Collin, Orville, Al and Byron and two daughters.  Ruth Estey Ferguson and Hulda, came here from time to time during the years 1867 to 1870. Mrs. Estey’s homestead was located where Ashcreek now stands, east of the Ashcreek post office.
Mr. DeForce clearly recalls the first Fourth of July celebration, held in 1873 in Amos Estey’s grove, one mile below Ashcreek. At that time Mr. DeForce was only ten years old and the settlers called on him to sing. He responded with the song, “Alcohol.” Between fifty and sixty people, almost all of the settlers then in the county, were present.
Luverne could boast of only a few business houses in 1873. These were Wold and McKay’s store, the only store in town, Hoffman’s blacksmith shop, Estey’s drug store and the office of George and P. J. Kniss and Martin Webber, bankers and real estate men in Luverne.
Wold’s store was located in the building at present occupied as a home by Carl Pederson, at the corner of Main and Oakley streets; Estey’s drug store in the present Skoland residence and the Kniss Bros. and Mr. Webber had their offices in the two buildings immediately west of the Skoland place, now occupied as homes.
The Luverne House, this section’s most pretentious hotel, occupied a site where the Weick feed yards were located, and Mr. DeForce recalls that while a heavy, fleshy man, whose name he is unable to recall, was engaged in painting this building, the scaffold gave way and he fell a considerable distance to the ground, badly fracturing one of his ankles.
The weather was warm, and following a consultation, Dr. Crawford and another physician who did not remain here very long afterwards, decided that the injured man might develop infection from the fracture, and decided to forestall this possibility by amputating the injured foot, instead of taking chances by attempting to reset the broken bones.
The result was that the physicians brought their patient to the drug store, and after borrowing an ordinary meat saw from the meat market across the street, laid their patient out on a table in the drug store, and proceeded to cut the injured part of the limb off. With each stroke of the saw the patient gave voice to additional anguish, but the doctors kept at work until they had completed the disagreeable task. The patient survived the operation.
Mr. DeForce takes pride in the fact that he joined the Baptist congregation of this city in the summer of 1876, and has always retained membership in this denomination. He was formally baptized one Sunday morning in Rock River, about one hundred feet north of the present Main street bridge.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.

1924: Former resident's returns home to Luverne leads to reminiscing

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on August 22, 1924:
 
OLE-TIMER RECALLS THE DAYS OF THE EARLY ‘70S
 
George DeForce Returns here After Absence of Forty-Eight Years — And, Becomes Reminiscent.
 
George DeForce, who first came to Rock county with his parents fifty-two years ago, returned here last week after an absence of forty-eight years, and expects to again make his home here.
Mr. DeForce, who is a son of the late Ed. A. DeForce, one of the first settlers of Kanaranzi township, still retains vivid recollections of Rock county when it was a wilderness in the first stages of transformation.
His father first came here in 1871, filing on a homestead in Kanaranzi, and the following year returned to Boone county, Illinois, and brought his family, which included George, then nine years of age, back with him. That fall the father passed away and the family moved into Collin Estey’s dugout for the winter. This dugout was on the south part of what is now known as the Frank Kohn place, but was originally the Henry Martin homestead.
In the fall of 1873 the DeForces returned to Illinois and later on, in the same year, Mrs. DeForce was married to Collin Estey at Mankato. The next spring they moved to the Estey homestead located four miles south and one half mile west of Luverne, on the southwest quarter of section 34, Luverne township. The year 1874 was the first year that the grasshoppers were  here and they continued to ravage the crops in the county for the next two years.
In the summer of 1876 Mr. DeForce began to work in the first drug store in Luverne owned by Nathan Estey. That December he left this county and since that has lived, for the greater part of the time, in Colorado and Montana. For the last eighteen months he has been under a physician’s care, spending part of that time, in hospitals, but since his return to Minnesota, his health has shown considerable improvement.
Mr. DeForce, in company with Nathan and Collin Estey, are credited with having killed the last buffalo seen in Rock county, which was in 1873. Nathan Estey had often hunted buffalo in this section and he claimed that the male that was shot at that time was the largest ever seen on these plains. These buffalo, which consisted of a bull, a cow  and a calf, were sighted one fall day in the tall, rank growth of grass about a mile southeast of the Collin Estey homestead.
One of the three hunters succeeded in crippling the bull as it made a mad rush for him, and then George was granted the privilege of firing the shot that put it out of its misery.
The cow and calf, were then trailed to near the present site of Valley Springs, where one of the party succeeded in dispatching the cow. The calf was captured and brought back to the Estey homestead, and kept.
Nathan Estey and a man named Moon came to the section of the northwest in 1866 and the next year filed on a homestead where Rock Rapids now stands. When Edward DeForce and his family came to where Rock Rapids now stands, all they could see was a dugout in the side of a hill and a pet deer, belonging to Mr. Moon, tied to a picket rope.
This article will continue next week.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.

1924: Restroom, exhibit area constructed at fairgrounds for public health

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on August 12, 1924:
 
BUILDING FOR HEALTH EXHIBIT REST ROOM AT COUNTY FAIR
 
Three Organizations Unite for Construction of Exhibit Building and Rest Room at Fair Grounds
Under arrangements completed this week, the Rock County Chapter of American Red Cross, the Rock County Public Health association and the Rock County Agricultural society will jointly erect a building at the fair grounds for use of public health exhibits and as a rest room during the fair. The plans call for a building 20x24 feet, of arrangement suitable to the purpose for which it is to be utilized, and the cost will be $600, one-third of which will be borne by each of the three societies named.
Heretofore it has been customary to rent a tent for the public health exhibit and rest room. This has not only been very unsatisfactory from every standpoint, but has been an expensive way of supplying a place of exhibit and rest room. A check of the situation showed that the rental saved could pay the cost of the new building in a few years, and at the same time provide much better facilities.
The building will be completed in time for use during the coming fair, Sept. 10th to 13th, and will make a noticeable addition to the buildings at the fairgrounds.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.

Two banks in Hardwick consolidate in 1924, stockholders pool interests

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on July 11, 1924:
 
HARDWICK’S TWO BANKING INSTITUTIONS CONSOLIDATE
 
Farmers State Bank Takes Over Business of Security State Bank and Stockholders Pool Interests
 
The consolidation of Hardwick’s two banking institutions, which had been under consideration for sometime, was fully agreed upon at a joint meeting of the stockholders held Saturday evening. The merger was formally consummated Monday morning, the Farmers State bank taking over the business of the Security State bank, which passed out of existence.
This action was taken by the stockholders for their mutual benefit, for it has long been recognized that the field did not necessitate two banks, and that the consolidation of the two under one corps of officers would not only eliminate much overhead expense, but also give the community one of the very strongest financial institutions in the county outside of Luverne.
In connection with this change the stockholders in the Security State bank were given at apportionate representation on the board of directors of the Farmers State bank, although but slight changes or additions were made in the list of officers of the Farmers State bank.
Stockholders of the two institutions met Monday and re-organized by electing a board of directors composed of Herman Hemme, E. T. Thorson, Harry Rolfs, Jas. C. Graham, J. W. Stamman, Gus Fredericks, Adolf Hauger, Louis Rath and E. A. Meyer.
This board organized by the re-election of Mr. Hemme as president, Mr. Thorson, vice president; Mr. Graham, cashier; A. A. Peterson, assistant cashier and also elected Mr. Stamman a vice president, and H. T. Banger an assistant cashier.
The consolidation gives the Farmers State bank total footings in excess of $400,000, with a cash reserve of more than $43,000, and places this bank on a stronger foundation and in a better condition to meet the needs of the Hardwick territory than ever before.
Security State bank was founded about nine years ago, and at the time of the its being merged into the Farmers State bank, Mr. Stamman was president, and A. L. Martinka cashier. Mr. Martinka retires from the banking field at Hardwick.
Merging of the two banks was accomplished without the slightest interruption, the contents of the vault and the records of the Security Bank being moved to the Farmers State Sunday, and the consolidation had been fully accomplished before banking hours Monday morning.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.