Skip to main content

You must log in to continue reading. Log in or subscribe today.

1896 agriculture by the numbers

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on December 4, 1896:
 
STATISTICS FOR THE YEAR 1896
 
The Total Acreage of Various Farm Products, the Number of Horses, Cattle, Sheep and Hogs, and Other Facts of Interest—Some Comparisons With the Statistics for 1895
 
The agricultural statement of Rock county for the year 1896, prepared by the county auditor from the statistics gathered by the assessors in the several precincts, embodies some interesting facts. The summary shows that there are 451 farms in the county with a total of 114,211 acres under cultivation. The acreage of grain and other products was as follows:
Wheat  ............      43,213
Oats ................       22,737
Corn ...............       22,250
Barley .............      20,255
Rye .......................        331
Buckwheat .............    51
Potatoes ...............      627
Beans .......................        6
Cultivated hay ... 1,844
Flax ....................      2,819
Other products ......  78
In 1895 the total number of acres under cultivation was 102,840, and the acreage of the various products was as follows:
Wheat .............      30,120
Oats ................       21,313
Corn ...............       23,746
Barley .............      21,698
Rye .........................        86
Potatoes ...............      460
Beans .....................       16
Cultivated hay ... 1,681
Flax  ..................       3,688
Other products ......  32
The yield from this acreage in 1895 was as follows: Wheat, 665,830 bu.; oats, 843,375 bu.; corn, 456,281 bu.; barley, 728,555 bu.; rye, 2,272 bu.; potatoes, 34,385 bu.; beans 57 bu.; cultivated hay, 2,112 tons; flax, 40,520 bushels.
The number of horses, cattle and hogs in the county for the year 1896 is given in the following:
Horses, under 3 years ... 742
Horses, over 3 years ... 2,743
Cattle, under 3 years .. 2,148
Cows ...........................  2,413
All other cattle ................  33
Hogs ............................ 7,749
Mules and asses .............. 62
Sheep ............................. 719
In 1895 there were 1,086 sheep sheared in the fall and the amount of wool was 2,471 lbs. In 1896 there were 341 sheep sheared in the spring and the amount of wool was 2,888 lbs. There were 2,000 milch cows in the county in 1895 and the total butter product was 206,175 lbs. In 1895 there were 3,059 apple trees, 440 of which were bearing: this year there are 3,342 apple trees, of which 1,127 bore fruit. There were 225 acres of forest trees planted and growing in the county this year.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.

1925: Bill prohibiting motion picture shows on Sundays is 'foolish and vicious'

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on February 13, 1925:
 
M. W. CHUNN TAKES ISSUE WITH REPRESENTATIVE JACOBSON
 
Contends That Measure Prohibiting Sunday Movies, Sponsored by Him, is “Foolish and Vicious.”
 
To the Editor of Rock County Herald:
Many of the friends of Representative J. N. Jacobson will be disappointed in him when they learn that he is one of the sponsors of a bill to prohibit moving picture shows on Sunday. Mr. Jacobson certainly did not receive any mandate for such action from the voters of Rock county. The slogan of the voters of this county during the late campaign was “No more new laws!”
While church-going people might have a shadow of pretense to complain that out-door sports on Sunday, such as base ball and horse racing, interfere with the “repose and religious liberty of the community,” no like complaint is possible as regards moving picture shows. These shows are in an entirely different class. The show is given in-doors and there is no noise or clamor to disturb the most sensitive person.
Many persons who work all the week find on Sunday their only opportunity to attend the movies. To deprive such persons of Sunday shows would mean to deprive them altogether of this kind of amusement.
The passage of this bill would not only be unjust to the public, but unjust to the proprietors of the movies. The Sunday shows are the best patronized, and in many places it would be impossible for a moving picture theatre to exist on the week day patronage alone.
The fact that Sunday shows are so well patronized proves that the people want them. What the people want they will sooner or later get in spite of the ill-advised efforts of Mr. Jacobson and his two colleagues. A minority of fanatics cannot forever restrain a majority of the people from the exercise of their personal rights and privileges.
Other states are repealing their blue laws and allowing their citizens to enjoy themselves on Sunday. The still Sabbath of the Jews, masquerading in the garb of Sunday, no longer reigns. Minnesota has always been one of the most liberal of the states in safe-guarding the rights of its citizens, and it will not now turn backward the hands of the clock.
This bill is another manifestation of that dangerous mania to regulate the other fellow. Far too many bills have been introduced at this session of the legislature. Most of them could be described as “foolish, but harmless,” but there is no other way to describe Mr. Jacobson’s bill than “foolish and vicious.”
Feb. 10, 1925                                                                      M. W. CHUNN
 
 
Remember the auction—Saturday, Oct. 8, at 1 p.m.  See you there!
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.

1896: 'Satisfactory record' allows Hills creamery patrons to net 16 cent payment for butter

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on November 27, 1896:
 
Hills Creamery
The Hills creamery made a very satisfactory record during the month of October. The Crescent says: “The board of directors of the Hills Creamery association met Monday of last week. After allowing bills for expenses during the month of October, they found they could allow the patrons 16 cents net for their butter. This is a better showing than any creamery throughout this section was able to make the same month this year, and if the farmer living in this vicinity furnishes milk to the creamery and wishes then to trade with our merchants, they will give you $11.00 worth of goods for every $10.00 in milk checks or $1.10 for $1.00. The goods are marked in plain figures and it is square dealing.”
Reminder:
Our auction will begin at 1 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 8, at The History Center.
We would welcome any items you might have for a donation to this sale. The matching funds available now will not be given after Jan. 1. Thank you for all the support you have given us in the past.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.

1925: Hawes & Son to reorganize

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on January 9, 1925.
 
HAWES & SON WILL CONDUCT BIG REORGANIZATION SALE
 
Ten-Day Bargain Sale to Start Next Wednesday. Preparatory to Re-arrangement of Departments.
 
In preparation for the reorganization of Hawes & Son’s department store, necessitated by the closing out of the shoe and clothing departments and the death of Chas. O. Hawes, president and treasurer of the corporation, the management this week announced that they will put on a mammoth re-organization sale, starting on Wednesday, January 14th.
This sale will continue for ten days and during that time a determined effort will be made to greatly reduce the stock so that the re-arrangement and remodeling of the different departments can be carried on in the most expeditious manner possible. A four page sale announcement of the coming event will be issued the first part of next week.
Among the changes planned are the relocation of the ready-to-wear department and the expansion of the dry goods department. The firm expects to continue to handle gent’s furnishings, but the shoe department will be wholly eliminated.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.

Hardwick bank merger 'beneficial' in 1925

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on January 9, 1925.
 
CONSOLIDATION OF HARDWICK BANKS FOUND BENEFICIAL
 
Results Attained Following Merge Held to Justify Elimination of Double Overhead Expense.
 
In proof of the assertion that nothing is to be gained commercially or economically by too many institutions of a similar nature in a restricted field of endeavor, officers of the Farmers State Bank of Hardwick are viewing with pleasure and pointing with pride to the showing made in this bank’s latest statement of condition at the close of business on December 31st, 1924.
It will be recalled that about six months previous, or on July 5th to be exact, the consolidation of the Farmers State Bank and the Security State Bank of Hardwick was effected. But this was only accomplished after many overtures. Prior to the consolidation neither one of the institutions was really making any money, and that intangible thing, known as overhead, was consuming the accrued profits to a pronounced extent.
Under the consolidation, operating expenses were reduced practically one-half without curtailing service to patrons of either institution to any detrimental extent. The statement of the Farmers State Bank, published in these columns last week, shows that net profits were $1,263.06, and that the amount of cash reserve on hand totals $52,256.25. The bank’s total footings are given as $391,434.59.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.

1924: City without lights as plant undergoes upgrades

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on December 26, 1924:
 
SHUT-DOWN AT POWER PLANT TODAY AND TONIGHT
 
No Electric Lights Or Power Will be Furnished for 24 Hours – Water and heat as Usual
 
Luverne will be without electric lights and power all of today, all of tonight and a part of tomorrow, according to announcement made Wednesday by Superintendent George DeLate. The shut-down is necessitated on account of new units being installed at the power house, as connections cannot be made with the machinery running.
Patrons of the electric plant will accordingly dig out their old kerosene lamps and lay in a supply of candles, for tonight will be a long dark night.
The public generally is requested to observe unusual caution in regard to fires during the period of the shut-down. Full water pressure will be maintained, but owing to the absence of light, fires would be extra hazardous. The central heating plant will also be kept in operation to heat the buildings connected with this system.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.
 
 

1924: Former teacher recalls first class

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on December 19, 1924:
 
C.E. OLDER, PIONEER, PAYS TRIBUTE TO C.O. HAWES
 
Recalls That He Was the Last of Several Young Men Who Went to His School in 1871-72.
 
“It is with profound regret and sorrow that I hear of the death of C. O. Hawes, who had been a personal friend for more than half a century.” C. E Older, formerly of Luverne and a pioneer resident of Rock county, writes from Los Angeles, Calif.: “Charley Hawes was the youngest student of a class I taught in the winter of 1871-72 in Luverne, the first school in Rock County.
“He is the last one, the others have all ‘passed on’ before. Ed. McKenzie, Pat Kelley and Lew Daniels, they had all been in the army, government employ (mail carrier), or logging on the Wisconsin river, and wanted to ‘pick up a little,’ as they had been out of school so long. Our school was kept in a room 10x10 ft., in the northeast corner of the Hawes house on the hill, near which E. A. Brown’s office now stands.
“Mr. Hawes had built a new house, and rented this one to Mr. Daniels, who kept what travelers came along. All the boys boarded there except Charley, and we slept in the chamber on the floor with buffalo robes above and below us.
“When a blizzard come up, which was quite often that winter, we moved down to the school room for three days and as the storm was over, we shoveled the snow through the chamber window for it was filled to the peak of the roof. These were days to try men’s souls. Mr. Abbott was nearly frozen to death that winter, and a Norwegian residing above the Mounds lost his life and was found north of Adrian a week later.”
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.

1924: 'Rock County as it was 50 years ago' continues story of life here in the 1800s

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on July 18, 1924:
 
ROCK COUNTY AS IT WAS FIFTY YEARS AGO
 
The ill-fated year 1873 began with the most violent storm in the history of the state from the time of the first settlement to the present date. For three days beginning January 7th, the blizzard raged, extending over the whole northwest. Seventy human lives were lost in the storm in Minnesota, but by a miraculous turn of fate, none of these was in Rock county. It was the only county in the vicinity that escaped without loss of life.
Several Martin township farmers were caught in the storm while on a trip for wood on Rock river and had narrow escapes from meeting death in the storm.
One such party was composed of Ole O. Rue, Sr., Ole O. Rue, Jr., Nels Anderson, and John Goldberg. Just as they reached the edge of the timber, the storm broke. The men got their cattle within the grove and there the unfortunate men were obliged to pass the night.
Mr. Rue states that he had all he could do to keep the other members of the party on the move. They begged to be permitted to sit down and rest, which of course would have been fatal.
About daylight, Anderson and Goldberg went out of the grove to seek a place of shelter, but they could find none and returned with badly frozen faces.
At noon the weather cleared a little — enough to permit the stormbound men to see the sun and get their bearings, then they set out for the west in an effort to reach their home.
Ole O. Rue, Jr. led one yoke of oxen, and the other members of the party clung to the tails of the oxen and kept close together. In that manner they safely reached the home of Henry Martin where they secured shelter for the night.
During the night Mr. Goldberg, who was more badly frozen than the others, was in great agony, and believing himself to be dying, he bade his comrades goodbye. He subsequently recovered. All the members of the party reached home after spending the night at Mr. Martin’s.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.

1924: Life as it was in Rock County 50 years after settlers arrived; first birth recorded in 1869

In November 1867, Mr. Hawes brought with him John Lietze and family who were to maintain a stopping place, or half-way place, as it was called on the mail route. Although both the Estey and Lietze families spent the winter of 1867-68 on the Rock river within ten miles of each other, neither knew of the presence of the other, each family believing itself to be the only one in Rock county. At Jackson, Mr. Hawes had been told that a family had been spending the winter on the route, below his station, and on January 31, 1868, while on a trip over the line he went down to see if it were true. He found that the Esteys had lost a day in the reckoning of time, and for over two months had been rigidly keeping Monday for the Sabbath day.
When once the trail has been blazed to the frontier country and actual settlement has been established, it is not long until others follow. This was the case in Rock county, and we find that during 1868, quite a number of settlers pushed to the Rock river country and builded themselves a home. Among the settlers of 1968 was Edwin Gillman who later became sheriff of Rock county.
Despite the fact that only a few had arrived in the county during the first half of the year, those were patriotic and duly celebrated the nation’s birthday. Every man, woman and child in the county excepting Charlie Hawes, who was on a trip to Yankton with the mail, was present. They were Philo Hawes and family, Mrs. Deborah Estey and family, Miss Miranda J. Skinner, Edward McKenzie, Daniel Wilmout and family, S. Teal, J. C. Phelps and family, and Charles Hillman.
The year 1829 saw considerable increase in new settlers, but lack of space forbids going into detail.
The first birth of Rock county occurred in the month of March 1869. It was a daughter, Effie Ferguson, born to Mr. And Mrs. John H. Ferguson. The second birth was also a daughter, Lorenda Bradford. The third birth also occurred the same year, a daughter, Carrie Hawes, having been born to Mr. and Mrs. Philo Hawes on August 9th.
This article will be continued next week.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.

1924: A continued look at Rock County as it was 50 years ago

The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on July 18, 1924:
 
Continued from last week:
 
ROCK COUNTY AS IT WAS FIFTY ODD YEARS AGO
 
During the Autumn of 1866, Nathan C Estey and James Johnson, of Spirit Lake, Iowa, visited the county for the purpose of selecting claims on the un-surveyed lands for themselves and for Mr. Estey’s younger brothers, also having a few goods to barter with the Indians. They proceeded up Rock river into Vienna township and there built a shanty in which they lived two months.
The first attempt to establish a permanent home in Rock county was made early in the month of June, 1867, by a Mr. Towers, and was unsuccessful. During the month of June, 1867, Philo Hawes, who was to take a more active part in early day affairs of Rock than any other man, accompanied by Joe Fields, passed through the county selecting a route for a government mail line from Blue Earth City to Yankton, Dakota Territory, and arrived at Rock river, a short distance above the present site of Luverne, on June 13th, where they camped for the night. Proceeding on their way westward they arrived on the present site of Sioux Falls on the morning of June 15, 1867, where they found a military post occupied by a part of a regiment of soldiers.
The honor of making the first permanent settlement in Rock county must be accorded to Amos E. and Orville C. Estey, brothers, who arrived in Rock county the third day of August 1867, the location being section 25, Clinton township, some two miles north of the Iowa state line. The pioneer house of Rock county erected by them was nine feet wide by sixteen feet in length, seven high at the front, and sloping down at the rear until the roof was only nine inches from the ground. The frame was constructed of poles cut along the river, which were placed upon upright crotched poles. After the poles had been placed in position long slough-grass was placed over the frame, taking the place of clapboards. The grass was woven about the poles as the old-fashioned willow baskets were woven. Over all were piled brush, coarse hay, sods and loose dirt.
This pioneer home was decidedly of the frontier, the nearest family being one by the name of Kordwell at the head of Spirit Lake. To the north there were no settlers for a greater distance, and Yankton was the nearest settlement on the west, excepting the soldiers, at the falls of the Big Sioux. Jackson was the postoffice of the Estey boys, and Spirit Lake, Iowa was the point from which they secured their provisions.
It is perhaps needless to add that they did not enjoy the privileges of the rural free delivery in that day. Philo Hawes, having secured the contract for carrying mail, came out to Rock county again on Sept. 18, 1867. On Sept. 19th he moved and camped near the present site of the Rock Island depot and at this time also selected the site for his future home. The section lines had not yet been run, but he did claim under squatters rights what, when surveyed, was the east half of the northwest quarter and the south half of the northeast quarter, section eleven, Luverne township, land upon which he later filed, and later still founded the town of Luverne.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to mannmade@iw.net.