fire

A fire Wednesday afternoon, Sept. 15,  at Page 1 Printers in Slayton caused damage to the warehouse portion of the building and sent four people for medical treatment for smoke inhalation. Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the warehouse, sparing the facility’s printing operations. The...
Scott Rall
When you spend your free time in the conservation universe, there is normally very little down time between seasons. The ice fishing season closed at the end of February, and in a short window of about 30 days I am heading into the heart of fire season. When it comes to managing grassland habitats...
Plans are in place for a new arrival and departure building at the Luverne municipal airport after the current structure was damaged in a fire last fall. At their Feb. 9 meeting, Luverne City Council members approved plans and specification for the project and set a bid letting date of March 11....
Luverne fire fighters arrived at the scene of a garage fire near the city park Saturday night. The blaze was deemed arson and the Minnesota State Fire Marshal is investigating.
The community woke to disheartening news Saturday morning about vandalism to Christmas light displays in Luverne City Park. A 2 a.m. barn fire near the park appears to be related to the vandalism spree, according to Luverne Fire Chief David Van Batavia. He reported the cause of the blaze to the...
Luverne firefighters were called to a house fire south of Luverne around 2 p.m. Sunday and discovered it was already engulfed in flames. According to Luverne Fire Chief David Van Batavia, the fire was called in by a farmer in a nearby field who noticed flames coming from the house. “The northeast...
Workers deal with the aftermath of a Sunday night fire at the CHS Elevator in Magnolia, which involved the newly installed grain dryer at the in-town facility. This is the second fire in as many years involving the facility.
A newly installed grain dryer sparked a fire Sunday night at the CHS Elevator in Magnolia. The Magnolia Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched at 7:55 p.m. Sunday to the facility. Smoke was seen pouring out of the dryer located on the east side of the in-town facility. The Luverne Fire Department...
Luverne drone operator Ryan Gee shared this aerial view of the fire that destroyed a shop near the home of Mark and Amy Overgaard in the Rowe Drive neighborhood where Luverne Fire Chief David Van Batavia also lives. In the short amount of time it took for crews to arrive, the nearby garage had heated to the point that the inside blinds started melting, and the exterior panes of the garage and house windows began to shatter from the heat. “If those inside panes had popped, it would have been hard to save the
An alert neighbor and quick emergency response saved the home of Mark and Amy Overgaard Friday when their shop was destroyed by fire. Luverne Fire Chief David Van Batavia lives in the same neighborhood as the Overgaards on Rowe Drive east of Luverne. He said he was on the back porch when he heard...
Tom Beaner, Steen, was at work in Sioux Falls Wednesday morning when he received a call from the Rock County Sheriff’s Office. The person on the phone told him his house was on fire and they wanted to know if anyone or any animals were inside. The answer was no. A neighbor called 911 shortly after...
A grain bin fire south of town kept the Luverne Fire Department busy during the Thanksgiving holiday. According to fire chief David Van Batavia, a passerby called 911 around 3 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 27, to report a dryer fire at Greg Gabrielson’s farm at 1320 91st Street near Schoneman Ponds. “There...
Ellsworth City Council will conduct a special meeting Sept. 23 to consider bids for a new city hall and maintenance building. The meeting begins at 7 p.m. Eight interested construction companies submitted bids by the Sept. 5 deadline, and council members met in special session to open bids the same...

Pages

Comment Here