Stanley Larson

Stanley T. Larson, 84, Everett, Wash., formerly of Rock County, died June 24, 2001, in Everett.

A memorial service will be at 2 p.m. Thursday, July 5, at Palisades Lutheran Church in Garretson, S.D.

Stanley Larson was born to Andrew and Margret Larson on March 12, 1917, in Rock County. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II and was involved in the Battle of the Bulge.

He married Edith Spomer in 1953. They moved to Denver, Colo., in 1960. He worked at Buckley Air Force Base until retirement. He enjoyed visiting his many friends and relatives in Arizona, Colorado, South Dakota and Minnesota during retirement.

Survivors include one son and daughter-in-law, Steve and Cary Larson, Mukilteo, Wash.; two daughters and one son-in-law, Patty Larson and Kathy and Scott Wertz, all of Arvada, Colo.; five grandchildren; one brother, Wayne Larson, Brainerd; two sisters, Adeline Christiansen, Green Valley, Ariz., and Lucille Holthus, Minneapolis; and two sisters-in-law, Dorothy Larson, Sioux Falls, S.D., and Betty Larson, Tempe, Ariz.

Mr. Larson was preceded in death by his parents and three brothers, Alvin, Lloyd and Merle.

Wilbur Saukerson

Wilbur W. Saukerson, 82, Chamberlain, S.D., died June 25, 2001, at Sunset Valley Haven Nursing Home in Chamberlain. Mr. Saukerson was the father of Mary Lou Gonnerman in Luverne.

Services were Thursday, June 28, at Zion Lutheran Church in Chamberlain. Burial was in Riverview Cemetery, Chamberlain.

Wilbur Saukerson was born to Otto V. and Myrtle (Gunderson) Saukerson on Feb. 25, 1919, in Bijou Hills, S.D. He attended Hoover School in Brule County through the 8th grade and then graduated from Pukwana High School in 1938. He worked for area farmers and also attended a business college in Mitchell, S.D. He tried out for the St. Louis Cardinal baseball team in 1938-39.

He enlisted in the U.S. Army on March 18, 1941. He served in the Pacific in the Corps of Engineers building roads, bridges and runways.

He married Eleanor Beam on March 20, 1945, in Omaha, Neb. After his discharge on Aug. 28, 1945, they returned to Chamberlain. He worked at the Chamberlain Water Company, Gregg Market and Saukerson Produce. He retired from the United States Postal Service in 1980 after working there for 27 years. After retirement he worked for Wevik Funeral Home in Chamberlain.

He coached the American Legion baseball team for many years, and during that time the team made three appearances at the State Baseball Tournament.

Mr. Saukerson was a lifetime member of American Legion Potter Post #3. For 20 years he served on the American Legion Athletic Commission. He also served in all offices of the local Legion Post, Chef de Gare 40/8, and in the S.D. National Guard for 23 years. He served as the state commander for the American Legion in 1983-84. He was a member of Zion Lutheran Church, Lutheran LaymanÕs League and the Lions Club.

Survivors include his wife, Eleanor Saukerson, Chamberlain; two sons, Wayne Saukerson, Rapid City, S.D., and Dale "Wally" Saukerson, Hendersonville, Tenn.; three daughters and sons-in-law, Anita and Terry Small, Aberdeen, S.D., Kay and Richard Spain, Hudson, S.D., and Mary Lou and Ronald Gonnerman, Luverne; seven grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; his mother, Myrtle Saukerson, Chamberlain; one brother and sister-in-law, Maynard and Ilith Saukerson, Chamberlain.

Mr. Saukerson was preceded in death by his father, one son, Clyde, and one brother, Melvin.

Memorials may be given to the Chamberlain Baseball Association.

Wevik Funeral Home, Chamberlain, was in charge of arrangements.

Comment Here